Friday, November 26, 2010

Weight Loss: Getting Myself Ready

I've had a rough couple of weeks.  Training always throws me off, had a visit from TOM and I got some health news that just tripped me out...bummed me out is more accurate.  You may remember the post I did a few weeks ago about the difference a year makes in which I discussed how different my life was from a year ago because last November I was praying that I did not have lymphoma.  Well, the more things change the more they stay the same because here it is one year later and I'm praying for the same thing.  There are some differences though.

This year I'm in a much better position to deal with whatever the results will be.  I know that I'm physically in a better place and I think that I'm in a better place mentally.  My body is stronger, I have more endurance, it weighs less, has less fat on it and more muscle.  I'm always amazed about life and moments that are my personal confirmations of God's existence.  I have a cousin who is a recovering alcoholic.  She hit rock bottom many years ago when her life had spiraled as far out of control as she was willing to let it and she went into recovery.  The thing about it was that, by the time she had completely gotten herself back on her feet and back together, our aunt faced a tremendous fight with cancer.  My cousin stepped in and stepped up and cared for my aunt in such a way that still amazes me.  I know that she would not have been able to serve that role had she not been in that sober, self-confident and together place. Just by bettering herself and dealing with her issues, she readied herself. 

Eight months ago, when I started my program, I did not know that I would be once again facing a lymph node biopsy at Thanksgiving time and waiting to hear my fate.  But I've readied myself better than if I had not worked on becoming healthier and dealing with my issues.

I know that progression, improvement, and taking each step forward on whatever journey you're on is never a wasted effort.  We never know what is around the corner and we never know what thing is out there that we will have to be ready for.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a powerful post. Weight loss is not an end unto itself, it is the beginning of so much more. I wish you health and strength through this time. Well done on the loss over Thanksgiving. You rock! What an inspiration. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete